Saturday 30 January 2010

Top Paddock Plan goes into Action

Next weekend, I have ordered a 1.5 tonne excavator from a local hire store. I’ve had a pair of dying wattle trees cut down and the stumps ground so that I can extend the existing shed in the top paddock extended when I need to.
I am pulling out a useless fence between the top paddock and the little enclosed field (with no gate). It is hard going as the fence has been rabbit proofed. Thank goodness the excavator is more persistent than a rabbit!
I will be removing the old rubbish from the top paddock including an old bed frame, at least six fallen trees, a pair of rusty rabbit pens attached to a 4 x 4 m concrete slab and scrape the boundary in preparation for the new fence. The new fence will be a 6 foot fence made from 8 foot Koppers sunk two feet deep with dog link fencing between. Well, the plan is a plan J I just hope that I can maintain the desire to get the damn thing done.
There are a couple of hard landscaping items that I want to achieve in the top paddock. One of them is the building of a suitable barn for the goats. I want to have at least 4 milking does and a pair of wethers as paddock pals for the girls. During kidding, I may have from 4 to 12 kids depending on the fecundity of my does. So I need to be able to accommodate 10 to 18 animals. When the does have kids, their milk will be for the kids, however, I should still get enough milk from the does to be able to produce soap and cheese for the family. I want the barn to be able to serve the needs of up to 20 goats as well as milking up to 4 does. The barn will need to provide storage for hay and grain for up to 20 animals.
Another of the landscape items that I need to incorporate into my top paddock is: - goat toys. I’d love to build swinging bridge and platform for the goats to play on. At the moment, my goats tend to dominate the hammock that I made for my daughters. They don’t have much luck getting into the hammock and often end up landing on their sides on the wrong side of the hammock, but they luuuurve it.
One of the games that I have noticed that goats love more than any other is King of the Hill. I need to make the goats a decent hill for the little darlings. One of the good things about a decent goat hill is that it can be a great way to wear the goats’ hooves down if it is made from a solid and abrasive material (such as concrete or sandstone, etc.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Section