Saturday 10 December 2011

Milk Stand

I needed to build a milk stand for the goats so that I can milk the does when they are lactating and also so that I can perform other tasks on the goats when I don’t have enough hands. Jobs such as: hoof trimming, injections, inspections etc..

I had seen a couple of good designs for milking stands on the internet but nothing that was just so.

I needed something timber because I am leaving the milking stand out in the garden and I don’t want it to rust, also the timber needs to be thick enough and weather resistant enough to cope with Tasmanian gardens, while also being able to cope with the weight and strength of the goats.

Milking Stand 01

I’ve used fence rails for the top of the milk stand and to construct the stanchion while the rest of the base frame is made from DAR framing timber.

Milking Stand 02

The head stock is made from one piece of timber fixed in place and the opening piece pivots on a bolt at the base of the stanchion. I’ve also got a bolt that goes through the head stock to lock the stock in place (holding the goat in place). On the other side of the stock I have screwed an ice-cream container that I have drilled holes through (so that rain water can run out).

So far, only Minnie has used the milking stand and she is quite comfortable in it so long as there is some food in the bucket for her.

I may have to modify the head stock for Holly as she is a much bigger goat with a thicker neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Section