Saturday 30 October 2010

Sad News

I am sad to report that Molly died. Our lovely little Saanen doe kid died just two days after coming to our farm. After nursing her for a couple of hours in the night to rub her belly and try to help her (I believe that she had bloat), Molly died in the early hours of the morning.

clip_image002

The lovely lady in Burnie who gave us the goats gave me all of the support and advice that I needed to try to help Molly and I have nothing but thanks for her. Her daughters were very upset by the news too (not to mention my daughters).

This left us with a very distraught Millie who was in obvious distress at the absence of her companion. I contacted the President of the Dairy Goat Society of Australia – Tasmanian Branch, who provided me with the name of a dairy goat breeder who was likely to have goats with kid. The breeder (Shelley Johnson) was very helpful indeed, and offered one of her cross British Alpine/Anglo Nubian goats. My wife jumped into the car and raced off to Tinderbox to check out our new goat (Holly).

While I am very sad that we have lost a dear little goat that was only 6 weeks old, I have experienced a wonderful community here in Tasmania. The community of dairy goat owners and breeders in Tasmania is a wonderfully supportive and compassionate group of people. I cannot say enough in praise of this community. I am truly touched by their care and helpfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Section