Monday 28 February 2011

Abandoned Cats

clip_image002Late one night while my wife and I were sitting down to a nice relaxing night after both daughters had gone to bed. Our puppy, Max, the Cardigan Corgi was getting very excited and started to bark at the veranda doors. At the door we found a little black kitten. The poor little thing was thin and mewling terribly. We brought the kitten in and put the dogs out. Within minutes, the dogs were barking again. We went outside and found another kitten in the apple tree.

Now, my wife and I are not cat people. Plus … our garden is a habitat for countless native parrots and other native birds. Cats, also, eat chickens. On the other hand, our daughters had expressed a deep and abiding desire to have a kitten. Rock … hard place …

We decided that the kittens were in desperate need to have food. So we fed them some puppy food and a small amount of skim milk.

The two kittens were lovely little tom cats. They seemed to be quite healthy, but they were very skinny.

clip_image004We determined that we would take the kittens to the RSPCA in the morning so that they would be given the care and attention that they deserve. The surprising thing for me was that they were obviously well cared for, just … well … abandoned. I suppose that the owners thought that it was better to abandon them rather than take them to the RSPCA themselves, I mean, after all, the RSPCA is, what, another kilometre down the road from our property. Ah well, who am I to judge?

We kept the kittens in a warm box in the garage overnight with some water (that, of course, they spilled everywhere). In the morning, my lovely wife took the kittens to the RSPCA where they were probably wormed and fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Section