Monday, 28 February 2011

The Quarantine Story

Well, the goats have been in quarantine for a month now. And they are beginning to get a little fed up with it. Our older doe, Holly, has managed to maintain an average escape rate of once every three days. So far she has:

· Wriggled under the wire – so I attached heavy steel pipes to the bottom of the mesh;

· Pushed the gate out at the bottom – so I put a concrete block up against the gate;

· Jumped over the top of the enclosure – so I put an extra wire line around the top;

· Made a huge hole in the lighter wire of the gate – so I attached some exterior grade plywood to her gate; and

· Made a mysterious escape – so I scratch my head and say … huh.

clip_image002The younger doe, Minnie, just patiently waits on her side of the enclosure. Well … I say patiently, but actually there is an awful lot of bleating that goes on.

The main objective with the quarantine is to keep them separated at bed and meal times, so that they don’t share too many fluids. The quarantine pen has worked pretty well for that, although the proof of the pudding will be when I take them back to the vet for a blood test in March. I have very mixed feelings about that deadline.

I would hate to have the blood test come back positive for CAEV. I have already lost two young does and I don’t want to lose any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Section