Wednesday 24 October 2012

Egg Thief

Something is still taking our eggs. Today, there were only two eggs in the coop and one of them was broken open. Yesterday, the same.

I think I need to rethink the design of the nesting box. At the moment, I have the nesting box attached to the side of the coop with the chickens laying into a tray filled with wood shavings. My aunty and uncle had a chicken coop, when I was young, that allowed the eggs to roll out into a catcher. If I can get the eggs rolling out into a catcher, I can probably eliminate some of the threat to the eggs. If it is the chickens that are eating the eggs, then this should stop them from doing that.

What I will need to do is to take the nesting box off the coop, redesign and rebuild it. I need to make the nesting box so that the floor of the nesting box is slightly sloped so that the eggs roll down into a catcher when they are laid. The nesting box redesign needs to provide a more commodious space for the chickens too. I think that the reason that the chickens lay on the floor of the coop is that the nesting box isn’t spacious enough for them.

I can reuse some of the material from the existing box, so I won’t need to buy much for the rebuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Section