Saturday 20 October 2012

Rooster Renaming

Our youngest daughter took umbrage to my naming of the new rooster. She felt that “Goose” was not a suitable name for our rooster. Frankly, the rooster didn’t care, he had his harem and was no longer scratching around at the local tip.

Howard_001

After much deliberation, we have settled on “Howard” as a name fitting his dignity and masculinity. So … Hello Howard!

Howard_003

He has been in the chicken run for almost one day now and he seems to have convinced the hens that he knows where all of the good food can be found.

Howard_002

It would seem, from observation, that Howard is spending a lot of time telling the hens “I’m strong, I’m tall and I know where the food is!”.

I’d say, from his size and the development of his spurs, that Howard is about a year old … possibly 18 months. He will still get a lot bigger than he is now.

When Howard scratches in the dirt and calls the hens over, I think that, when the hens come running, it is kind of like women laughing at men’s jokes. It’s all about propping up his ego.

Howard_004 with the girls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Section