Thursday 22 November 2012

More fence repairs

The old fence needs some repairing. The mesh has collapsed over time by being pushed over by the dirt and rocks eroded from our neighbours driveway as well as just being old.

Dodgey Fence

The top to strands have been restrecthed, but the bottom strand and the mesh are looking pretty poor. The sheep will just walk straight through the gap. They like just walking through the fence.

What I’m doing to repair the fence is taking a short strand of fencing wire and attaching the mesh to the strands above it. Basically, I’m knitting new mesh wire into the fence so that it becomes a mesh fence all the way to the top.

New Wire

I start by wrapping the wire around the top joint of the mesh, the wire goes around both sides of the joint so that it doesn’t just get pushed along the mesh. I pull the mesh up as high as I can pull it and then wrap the wire around the middle strand. The wire goes up and over, then around in a figure of 8, again, so that the wire doesn’t move left and right on the middle strand. Finally, the wire goes up and over the top strand, around in a figure of 8 and then pulled around the main wire for more support.

Then repeat …

Fixed Fenceline

I’ve fixed most of the fence so far … I still have a couple of meters (about 8) left to do, but I ran out of fence wire. I’m going to have to buy some more fencing wire. D’oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Section