Friday 16 November 2012

This weekend’s target

This weekend, I’m hoping to start work on the next fence hurdle. This one isn’t in as bad a state as the last one, but it is pretty bad. The fence post is part of the gate to the bottom paddock and the gate doesn’t close properly any more. Fixing this hurdle will allow me to straighten the bottom fence as well as fixing the gate, so it will be a good job to get it done.

next fence post

The cross bar from the hurdle is long gone. I used a piece of steel pipe to prop the fence post up, but it still isn’t straight enough to allow the gate to close properly.

I’ll need to pare the old wire away from the post so that I can lever the old post out. I can’t afford to take too long with this, or leave the fence down at all, my sheep are in one of the paddocks that this post is the corner of (in fact, the paddock that I am standing in to take the photo).

After getting the post out, I will put in a star-post to hold the fence up while I get the new fence post set. It is going to be difficult to set the hole because of the fences that will still be attached in-situ. I can’t use the petrol auger, so I’ll have to resort to using the manual auger and a spade.

When the hole is in, I will put the fence post in and concrete it. Then I will need to wait for the concrete to cure before I can reattach the fence.

While I am waiting for the concrete to cure, I’ll take the second post out and replace it and get the cross bar put in. The second post will be concreted in too, added strength is always good. The main reason that the fence has come down over time is that the next door neighbours property has lots of trees, and occasionally, they come down on the fence and it damages the wire. I can expect that the wire will be damaged again in the future, but that’s just the way it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Section